Friday, July 9, 2010

The Last Story - I'm Getting My Hopes Up

I usually don't let myself get hyped for games, because it always seems to backfire on me. *Cough* *Cough* Fragile Dreams or how about White Knight Chronicles? I could only muster to play an hour of it before never touching it again. Maybe one day I will again, after all, I did even go as far to buy the guide, but all that is wasted on something that just didn't live up to what I thought it would be. Often in life we take the approach of not to expect much, therefore we won't be disappointed i.e. pessimism. I decided to take that approach with JRPGs as soon as this generation's consoles weren't providing me with anything that was gush-worthy. But, then this trailer came along for The Last Story, and I threw all my rules out the window.

If you haven't checked it out yet, please do: click here.

Tell me those environments don't look badass. But what has me hooked here is the combat. Combing some many different elements into one battle system - this is one battle system that flat out says, "I refuse to become stale!" It also looks like this will be a really strategic game. That's another +1 in the awesome column. I also think it looks great for the Wii. People tend to forget that the Wii just doesn't have the manpower to match the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphics, so maybe it's not up to par with those systems, but I still think for what the Wii can do it looks pretty damn good. From a trailer, obviously much can't be determined in terms of story, but I will say the characters do look pretty damn cool. I'm hoping we have an epic journey here where the characters are just as great as the journey.

So, maybe The Last Story is the JRPG I've been waiting for. Time will only tell really. For now, I'm keeping my eye on it and hoping it matches the awesome that I see in this trailer. I'm sure we'll hear more of a verdict when it comes out in Japan. All I have to say is - Mistwalker, please don't let me down. I'm being optimistic here, please don't give me a reason to go back to my pessimistic ways. I also have one last hope: The Last Story better see a NA release. If the game is as awesome as it looks and I don't get to see it in NA, I will cry. I need a JRPG to gush about it. It has been far too long since I've been able to do that.

1 comment:

  1. This is the kind of game I've been waiting to see since Mistwalker formed. I'm a bit surprised that between this and Xenoblade, the Wii of all systems has two stellar-looking RPGs on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete