Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Weekend in Gaming Wrap Up 7-2 - 7-5

So, I started off my weekend dusting off my copy of Prince of Persia for the PS3. Mind you, I got this game on release day, and it is still in the wrapper. What did I like about? Easy trophies, you can't die, and a game that makes it impossible for you to not know what to do next. This should make it a walk in the park and if you know my personality, I should appreciate not wasting my time figuring out how to get past a certain jump or dying and having to do areas over. However, the challenge is gone. Am I just sitting there controlling my way through a Prince of Persia cartoon? Because that's what it felt like. I really enjoyed the artwork in the game, but other than that I don't know if taking out all the challenge and hard stuff really did benefit the game. Sure, you can battle, but even then I tend to get suggestions on what attacks to use and when to block. I don't need my hand held quite as much or as tightly as Prince of Persia does. I promise, I'm a big girl and can figure things out on my own.

I decided to also pack some hours into Sakura Wars ~ So Long, My Love. There's definitely a love hate relationship going on with me and this game. There are parts I roll my eyes at and think the cheese factor is a little too high, and yet I can't stop myself from playing. I like the challenge of winning over the friendships of the girls and learning about what makes each one tick. But, at the same time, that's all I'm enjoying. The battle system leaves much to be desired. I'll admit, I thought it was going to be mega cool to suit up and operate mechs. It's fun at first, but the battles just move way too slow for my liking. I'm also not a fan of the controls in this game, they are wonky, especially for mini games. When I switched to my Wii classic controller, it did make things easier, but still pulling off the motions on time was difficult. There's some irony in this game - everything is fast paced in your choices. You don't have time to contemplate your dialogue and must respond quickly. (Hey, sorta realistic) Also, when you randomly end up in a mini game you better get in gear and move as fast as you can - hesitate and all is lost. Back to the irony part, it's about NY, a fast paced city, so I thought that was interesting. But the game does make it realistic enough by placing these time constraints on you. I can't tell you how many times I chose a dialogue option and then went back and thought maybe I should have said something else instead. If that's not close to real life I don't know what is (i.e. saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and wishing you had said something different later).

Anyway, those are the two games I sunk my teeth into the most this weekend. I started playing Ghostbusters, which if you are a fan of the movies, you'll no doubt enjoy, but as I was mid-battle in a long-winded level, my 360 decided to freeze on me. I gave up and maybe I'll go back to it another time and post more of my impressions, but the controls in this game were not really my cup of tea - a little wonky - a little too much to do something so simple. Catching a ghost is a pain in the butt. I don't want any realism in Ghostbusters. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment